January 29, 2008

1 Ticket and 2 Flat Tires Later....

Okay.... I speed. Guilty as charged. But I think everybody speeds. YES... everybody. First of all... it's impossible to stay exactly at the correct speed limit. Humans make mistakes and speeding is one of them. I have also been pulled over my fair share of times. Time 1: 90 on the highway (it's 70 here in MI, for those of you who don't know). On my way home from college... only car on the road.... complete accident. I saw the cop, pulled over, and had the window down before he even realized I was speeding. Then the tears came. Which helped in this instance, because I couldn't seem to find a proof of insurance and I did NOT get a ticket. Time 2: on my way home from work... about 5 over. The officer thought I was drinking... because it was super late. I told him I was on my way home from work. And I proved it by showing him my maroon vest over my white button up shirt with bow tie and nametag. He let me go. Time 3: less than 5 over, no proof of insurance again. Oops. But still no ticket... my mom got a ticket. I'm not sure how that worked, but I'm not going to argue it. Thanks officer, have a great night. Time 4: stopped after the white line at a stop sign on campus. TICKET! Are you kidding me? No previous record and I get a ticket for disobeying a stop sign. Cost.... 105 dollars plus 3 points on my license! Needless to say, I'm appealing it.
So I drive home for a day. Only a day because I have to work in the morning. Long story short... I actually got up early so that I wouldn't be late. Thank gosh, because I had a flat tire. I got my dad to fix it and I was on the road with just enough time to make it to work. On the drive to work (an hour and a half away), I see lights on the road up ahead. I slow down... because I'm not in the mood to get pulled over again. As I get closer, I realize that it's just a mini-van and it's way on the other side of the road. As I get really close, I notice he has a flat tire......... and he's in a wheelchair. I felt horrible for not stopping... but there were probably 13 cars driving in his direction. Surely someone would stop. When I looked in my rearview mirror, I almost threw up in my lap. NO one stopped! I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure why the man was in a wheelchair if he could drive... but I know they make special cars and things. To this moment, I can't get the picture out of my head. I wish I would have stopped. I'm going straight to hell for sure......

2 comments:

The Stormin Mormon said...

I would have stopped. That dude's day had to suck...

Christa, you're a better person than I.

I bought what I assumed was a "grown up car" thinking I'd behave, only to learn that it can indeed do 150MPH... Well, it can go faster, but I got it to 150 to prove a point. Mostly the point that testosterone and horsepower are a bad mix, but I proved it. ;-)

christa said...

i have a funny story about driving cars fast....

i was in the car with my brother and his girlfriend... when my brother decided to see how fast his car would go. and then his girlfriend said, "stop.. you're going to hit the president!" i think she meant governor. hahaha.